Our attorneys can represent you in U.S. immigration matters regardless of where you are located because U.S. immigration law is federal: you can be in any state, or in any country in the world.

Contact Us | About Us

521 Fifth Avenue, Suite 1700, New York, NY 10175, U.S.A., Telephone: (212) 488-6899

Extension of Stay

USCIS New Policy: Individuals eligible for 7th Year H-1B Extension are NOT required to be in the U.S., or in H-1B status.

The USCIS has announced that after completing a policy review that it was clarifying that “Aliens who are eligible for the 7th year extension may be granted an extension of stay regardless of whether they are currently in the United States or abroad and regardless of whether they currently hold H-1B status.”  The 7th year H-1B extension is available for individuals with Labor Certification (PERM, traditional, or RIR) applications or I-40 petitions pending for more than one year, and for individuals who have approved I-140 petitions, under the terms of AC21.  The new policy was announced in a USCIS Interoffice Memorandum from Michael Aytes, Associate Director, Domestic Operations, to all Regional Directors and Service Center Directors, dated December 5, 2006. 

USCIS Announces Extension of the Returning Worker Limitation to the H-2B Numerical Limitation

On October 23, 2006, the USCIS clarified how it would be handling the “returning worker” exemption to the H-2B numerical limitation which was extended for Fiscal Year 2007 by H.R. 5122, section 1074. President Bush signed that legislation on Oct. 17, 2006. The USCIS noted that the one year exemption will remain in effect until September 30, 2007.

How can you obtain an Extension of Stay (e.g., for an H-1B, O, L, etc.) when your extension of stay application is filed LATE?

Under the general U.S. immigration rule, you must file an EXTENSION OF STAY application for a non-immigrant status (e.g., H-1B, O, L, etc.) BEFORE your original status expires. For example, if your H-1B status expires on November 29, 2006, then you must file your extension of stay application before November 29, 2006. What happens, however, if you fail to file your extension before your original status expires, or you otherwise fail to maintain the previously accorded status? Normally, this means that your extension of stay application will be DENIED. There is an exception however.

Extension of Stay

"Extension of Stay" refers to the process of extending a non-immigrant status, e.g., H-1B, L, O, etc. It really refers to the extension of the Form I-94, which states a foreign national's STATUS in the U.S. It should not be confused with extending a "visa".

Contact Antao & Chuang

To contact Antao & Chuang, fill out the following form and press the Send button:

(U.S. state, or country if outside the U.S.)
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions.
2 + 7 =
Solve this simple math problem and enter the result. E.g. for 1+3, enter 4.

Search for H1B Visa Employers

You can search for "H1B Visa Employers" using this database, which was compiled by Antao & Chuang, Attorneys at Law from government sources. This database identifies those U.S. employers who have filed for H-1B visas in the past, or who have at least started the process by filing for the LCA. If you find an employer you are interested in, you can then contact them to inquire as to whether they have any current job openings in your field. Please tell your friends about this valuable resource.

Use this form to search for H1B Visa employers.

"FMG Friendly" Employers

Foreign Medical Graduates ("FMGs") should be aware that there are "FMG Friendly" employers, and "FMG Unfriendly" employers. This database (compiled by Antao & Chuang, Attorneys at Law from government sources) identifies those U.S. employers who have filed for H-1B visas for foreign medical graduates in the past (or at least started the process by filing for the LCA), and who can therefore be deemed "FMG Friendly". Please tell your colleagues about this valuable resource.

Use this form to search for "FMG Friendly" employers in a given state.

Recent comments

Antao & Chuang


© 1996-2024 Antao & Chuang, Attorneys at Law

Important Notices/Disclaimers

This website located under the world wide web domain "AntaoAndChuang.com" ("website"), and any subdomains, are owned, and maintained by Antao & Chuang, Attorneys at Law, whose practice includes U.S. Immigration Law. Since U.S. Immigration Law is federal in nature, Antao & Chuang, Attorneys at Law, serves clients who are located throughout the U.S. and the world in U.S. immigration matters, from their offices located at 521 Fifth Avenue, Suite 1700, New York, N.Y. 10175. Antao & Chuang, Attorneys at Law’s attorneys are licensed attorneys in the states where they practice. However, since said states do not recognize any specialization in U.S. immigration law (attorneys in said states are simply licensed in said states to practice law in general), Antao & Chuang, Attorneys at Law does not claim any such specialization, and nothing on this site should be deemed to constitute any such claim. Antao & Chuang, Attorneys at Law does not claim expertise in the laws of states other than where our attorneys are licensed. This website is an advertisement. This website is provided as a public service and not intended to establish an attorney client relationship. Antao & Chuang, Attorneys at Law does not accept clients on the strength of advertising materials alone but only after following our own engagement procedures. Any reliance on information contained herein is taken at your own risk. The information contained on this site is intended to educate members of the public generally and is not intended to provide solutions to individual problems. Readers are cautioned not to attempt to solve individual problems solely on the basis of information contained herein and are strongly advised to seek competent legal counsel before relying on information on this site. See Terms of Use.