Our attorneys can represent you in U.S. immigration matters regardless of where you are located because U.S. immigration law is federal: you can be in any state, or in any country in the world.

Contact Us | About Us

521 Fifth Avenue, Suite 1700, New York, NY 10175, U.S.A., Telephone: (212) 488-6899

Exchange Visitors (J-1)

Related topics:
The J-1 Visa is for individuals wishing to participate in certain specially approved exchange visitor programs. The J-1 Visa provides foreign nationals with opportunities to participate in educational and cultural programs in the United States and return home to share their experiences. In order to qualify for a J-1 Visa, an individual must be sponsored by an organization which has been approved by the U.S. government to act as an exchange visitor program. There are a wide variety of such programs, including programs intended for:
  1. Professors and researchers
  2. scholars
  3. Short-term scholars
  4. Trainees
  5. College and university students
  6. Teachers
  7. Secondary school students Specialists
  8. Alien physicians
  9. International visitors
  10. Government visitors
  11. Camp counselors
  12. Au pairs

Under the J-1 Visa program, if your travel or study is financed directly by the U.S. government, or by your home-country government, your eligibility to change your immigration status while in the United States is limited by law. You must return to your home country or country of last residence for two years before becoming eligible to apply for an immigrant (permanent residence) visa. The two-year foreign residency requirement also applies to those whose field of study appears on the Exchange Visitor Skills List and to all foreign medical graduates coming to the United States for graduate medical education. U.S. consular officers will explain details to anyone who applies for the J-1 visa.

Reader Comments

J-1 and Visiting Mexico

hello there,

I hope I can get a speedy response and i will try other resources as well, but here is my question.

Can an aupair from bosnia, here in the US, travel to Mexico and Canada without a VISA? My gut feeling says she needs a visa to go into both. I know many European countries do not, but I am not sure about eastern euro countries.

please advise

Local Aupair Coordinator Seattle WA

Jobs available for J-1 visa holders in Colorado

Is there any way to identify jobs and employers that are available to foreign students with the J-1 visa for working 1-4 months summer of 2008?

Contact Antao & Chuang

To contact Antao & Chuang, fill out the following form and press the Send button:

(U.S. state, or country if outside the U.S.)
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions.
17 + 1 =
Solve this simple math problem and enter the result. E.g. for 1+3, enter 4.

Search for H1B Visa Employers

You can search for "H1B Visa Employers" using this database, which was compiled by Antao & Chuang, Attorneys at Law from government sources. This database identifies those U.S. employers who have filed for H-1B visas in the past, or who have at least started the process by filing for the LCA. If you find an employer you are interested in, you can then contact them to inquire as to whether they have any current job openings in your field. Please tell your friends about this valuable resource.

Use this form to search for H1B Visa employers.

"FMG Friendly" Employers

Foreign Medical Graduates ("FMGs") should be aware that there are "FMG Friendly" employers, and "FMG Unfriendly" employers. This database (compiled by Antao & Chuang, Attorneys at Law from government sources) identifies those U.S. employers who have filed for H-1B visas for foreign medical graduates in the past (or at least started the process by filing for the LCA), and who can therefore be deemed "FMG Friendly". Please tell your colleagues about this valuable resource.

Use this form to search for "FMG Friendly" employers in a given state.

Recent comments

Antao & Chuang


© 1996-2024 Antao & Chuang, Attorneys at Law

Important Notices/Disclaimers

This website located under the world wide web domain "AntaoAndChuang.com" ("website"), and any subdomains, are owned, and maintained by Antao & Chuang, Attorneys at Law, whose practice includes U.S. Immigration Law. Since U.S. Immigration Law is federal in nature, Antao & Chuang, Attorneys at Law, serves clients who are located throughout the U.S. and the world in U.S. immigration matters, from their offices located at 521 Fifth Avenue, Suite 1700, New York, N.Y. 10175. Antao & Chuang, Attorneys at Law’s attorneys are licensed attorneys in the states where they practice. However, since said states do not recognize any specialization in U.S. immigration law (attorneys in said states are simply licensed in said states to practice law in general), Antao & Chuang, Attorneys at Law does not claim any such specialization, and nothing on this site should be deemed to constitute any such claim. Antao & Chuang, Attorneys at Law does not claim expertise in the laws of states other than where our attorneys are licensed. This website is an advertisement. This website is provided as a public service and not intended to establish an attorney client relationship. Antao & Chuang, Attorneys at Law does not accept clients on the strength of advertising materials alone but only after following our own engagement procedures. Any reliance on information contained herein is taken at your own risk. The information contained on this site is intended to educate members of the public generally and is not intended to provide solutions to individual problems. Readers are cautioned not to attempt to solve individual problems solely on the basis of information contained herein and are strongly advised to seek competent legal counsel before relying on information on this site. See Terms of Use.