Our attorneys can represent you in U.S. immigration matters regardless of where you are located because U.S. immigration law is federal: you can be in any state, or in any country in the world.

Contact Us | About Us

521 Fifth Avenue, Suite 1700, New York, NY 10175, U.S.A., Telephone: (212) 488-6899

Temporary Visas (Work, Study, Tourist)

Related topics:

Under certain circumstances, non-U.S. citizens are permitted to enter the U.S. without a visa (see section on Travel Without a Visa, e.g., Visa Waiver (for visitors), Citizens of Bermuda, Citizens of Canada, Citizens of Mexico, Citizens of Micronesia and the Marshall Islands).

However, unless a non-U.S. citizen qualifies for one of those travel without a visa provisions, the general requirement is that in order for a non-U.S. citizen to work in the United States for any period of time, receive training, or study, or visit the country: he or she must obtain an appropriate temporary visa.

This section discusses the most common types of work visas (Common Work Visas), student visas (Student Visas and Exchange Visitors (J-1)), and visitor visas (Visitor Visas).

Anyone considering the various visa options, should take a look at the List of Temporary Visas and Classifications.

Reader Comments

visitors from Bhutan

help with requirements for travel from Bhutan to USA for visit and possible education.

Visiting from Bhutan

As a general matter, a citizen of Bhutan who wishes to visit the U.S.--such as to visit various schools in order to decide whether to apply to a U.S. school--would need to apply for a "visitor" visa (i.e., B-1/B-2). Applying for this type of visa can involve addressing critical legal issues, such as demonstrating that:

* The purpose of their trip is to enter the U.S. only temporarily to visit schools, etc.;

* That the individual plans to remain for a specific, limited period; and

* That the individual has a residence outside the U.S. as well as other binding ties which will insure his or her return abroad at the end of the visit.

Because of the complexity of making the necessary showings, many individuals find it is best to retain a U.S. immigration attorney for this purpose. You may wish to contact the sponsor of this site to inquire about their terms for representing you: click here.

Contact Antao & Chuang

To contact Antao & Chuang, fill out the following form and press the Send button:

(U.S. state, or country if outside the U.S.)
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions.
11 + 2 =
Solve this simple math problem and enter the result. E.g. for 1+3, enter 4.

Search for H1B Visa Employers

You can search for "H1B Visa Employers" using this database, which was compiled by Antao & Chuang, Attorneys at Law from government sources. This database identifies those U.S. employers who have filed for H-1B visas in the past, or who have at least started the process by filing for the LCA. If you find an employer you are interested in, you can then contact them to inquire as to whether they have any current job openings in your field. Please tell your friends about this valuable resource.

Use this form to search for H1B Visa employers.

"FMG Friendly" Employers

Foreign Medical Graduates ("FMGs") should be aware that there are "FMG Friendly" employers, and "FMG Unfriendly" employers. This database (compiled by Antao & Chuang, Attorneys at Law from government sources) identifies those U.S. employers who have filed for H-1B visas for foreign medical graduates in the past (or at least started the process by filing for the LCA), and who can therefore be deemed "FMG Friendly". Please tell your colleagues about this valuable resource.

Use this form to search for "FMG Friendly" employers in a given state.

Recent comments

Antao & Chuang


© 1996-2024 Antao & Chuang, Attorneys at Law

Important Notices/Disclaimers

This website located under the world wide web domain "AntaoAndChuang.com" ("website"), and any subdomains, are owned, and maintained by Antao & Chuang, Attorneys at Law, whose practice includes U.S. Immigration Law. Since U.S. Immigration Law is federal in nature, Antao & Chuang, Attorneys at Law, serves clients who are located throughout the U.S. and the world in U.S. immigration matters, from their offices located at 521 Fifth Avenue, Suite 1700, New York, N.Y. 10175. Antao & Chuang, Attorneys at Law’s attorneys are licensed attorneys in the states where they practice. However, since said states do not recognize any specialization in U.S. immigration law (attorneys in said states are simply licensed in said states to practice law in general), Antao & Chuang, Attorneys at Law does not claim any such specialization, and nothing on this site should be deemed to constitute any such claim. Antao & Chuang, Attorneys at Law does not claim expertise in the laws of states other than where our attorneys are licensed. This website is an advertisement. This website is provided as a public service and not intended to establish an attorney client relationship. Antao & Chuang, Attorneys at Law does not accept clients on the strength of advertising materials alone but only after following our own engagement procedures. Any reliance on information contained herein is taken at your own risk. The information contained on this site is intended to educate members of the public generally and is not intended to provide solutions to individual problems. Readers are cautioned not to attempt to solve individual problems solely on the basis of information contained herein and are strongly advised to seek competent legal counsel before relying on information on this site. See Terms of Use.