Our attorneys can represent you in U.S. immigration matters regardless of where you are located because U.S. immigration law is federal: you can be in any state, or in any country in the world.

Contact Us | About Us

521 Fifth Avenue, Suite 1700, New York, NY 10175, U.S.A., Telephone: (212) 488-6899


What is the supporting documentation required for a request for RIR conversion?

According to the Labor Department:

The supporting documentation required for conversion to RIR processing is the same as that required for an application initially filed under the RIR process, with the addition of a written request for conversion. Employers or their attorneys should ensure the request includes:

  1. A written request for conversion;
  2. Documentation demonstrating that a pattern of recruitment has been established within the six months preceding the date the conversion request is received by the BEC, and that any U.S. workers were rejected solely for lawful, job-related reasons. Documentation must provide a description of the recruitment process used and the results of the recruitment process;
  3. Contact information regarding the application including an e-mail address where a reply to the RIR conversion request can be sent.

Can Wee Shu Min get Asylum in the United States?

Wee Shu Min is the 18 year old daughter of Wee Siew Kim, a current Member of the Parliament of Singapore in the Ang Mo Kio Group Representation Constituency (Jalan Kayu), representing the current ruling People's Action Party. She is purportedly a student in Raffles Junior College's scholarship program.

Can an EB-5 Investor invest in U.S. Real Estate?

EB-5 Successful Cases:  Limited Liability Partnerships investing in U.S. REAL ESTATE 

A "garden variety" direct investment in U.S real estate would NOT qualify for obtaining an EB-5 investor green card because that type of investment is considered a PASSIVE investment, and one of the key requirements of the EB-5 category is that the investment must be an ACTIVE investment, i.e., one which involves directing or managing an active enterprise. However, there have been successful EB-5 cases which involve indirect investments in real estate which get around the active investment requirement through the use of a Limited Liability Partnership.

USCIS Color Photo Specifications

This webpage reproduces the USCIS "COLOR PHOTOGRAPH SPECIFICATIONS" which define the requirements for photographs to be submitted to the USCIS for Permanent Residency, i.e. "greencard", purposes. Please be sure to check with the USCIS for any changes.

If you file for Adjustment of Status, can you continue to work under your current non-immigrant status until you get your EAD?

The general rule, commonly known, is that E-1’s, E-2’s, H-1’s, and L’s, who file for Adjustment of Status can continue to work under their previous status prior to obtaining their EAD card under the Adjustment of Status procedure, PROVIDED that they are otherwise maintaining their non-immigrant status (e.g., E-1, E-2, H-1, or L). What is less commonly known is that the position of the USCIS (as stated in an INS Memorandum from 1997) is that this general rule applies to “all nonimmigrants”.

Adjustment of Status

Adjustment of Status is the process of applying for U.S. Permanent Residency ("green card" status) from within the U.S., as opposed to traveling to a U.S. Consulate outside of the U.S. to obtain U.S. Permanent Residency, known as "Consular Processing." Adjustment of Status and its counterpart, Consular Processing, are usually the final step in obtaining U.S. Permanent Residency, i.e., after one's immigrant petition (e.g., I-140, I-130, etc.) has been approved. However, under current procedure,s it may be possible to file an immigrant petition together with an Adjustment of Status application.

BALCA rules that an employer must state at the BEGINNING of the LABOR CERTIFICATION process if it has MULTIPLE OPENINGS.

On 10/17/06, the U.S. Department of Labor's Board of Alien Labor Certification Appeals (BALCA) issued a ruling in a case, Matter of Custom Landscape Construction, Case No. 2005-INA-181 (10/17/06), in which it addressed the circumstances under which an employer can claim that it actually had MULTIPLE OPENINGS.

Re-entry Permits

A Re-entry Permit is a document issued by the USCIS to lawful permanent residents ("green card" holders) as a travel document. Green card holders use re-entry permits to re-enter the U.S. after travel of one year or more.

Keeping your greencard

If you already have a green card, there are certain precautions you should take to keep it, i.e., not have the government take it away.

Other Matters

This section covers a number of miscellaneous topics in U.S. immigration.

Contact Antao & Chuang

To contact Antao & Chuang, fill out the following form and press the Send button:

(U.S. state, or country if outside the U.S.)
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions.
3 + 5 =
Solve this simple math problem and enter the result. E.g. for 1+3, enter 4.

Search for H1B Visa Employers

You can search for "H1B Visa Employers" using this database, which was compiled by Antao & Chuang, Attorneys at Law from government sources. This database identifies those U.S. employers who have filed for H-1B visas in the past, or who have at least started the process by filing for the LCA. If you find an employer you are interested in, you can then contact them to inquire as to whether they have any current job openings in your field. Please tell your friends about this valuable resource.

Use this form to search for H1B Visa employers.

"FMG Friendly" Employers

Foreign Medical Graduates ("FMGs") should be aware that there are "FMG Friendly" employers, and "FMG Unfriendly" employers. This database (compiled by Antao & Chuang, Attorneys at Law from government sources) identifies those U.S. employers who have filed for H-1B visas for foreign medical graduates in the past (or at least started the process by filing for the LCA), and who can therefore be deemed "FMG Friendly". Please tell your colleagues about this valuable resource.

Use this form to search for "FMG Friendly" employers in a given state.

Recent comments

Antao & Chuang


© 1996-2023 Antao & Chuang, Attorneys at Law

Important Notices/Disclaimers

This website located under the world wide web domain "AntaoAndChuang.com" ("website"), and any subdomains, are owned, and maintained by Antao & Chuang, Attorneys at Law, whose practice includes U.S. Immigration Law. Since U.S. Immigration Law is federal in nature, Antao & Chuang, Attorneys at Law, serves clients who are located throughout the U.S. and the world in U.S. immigration matters, from their offices located at 521 Fifth Avenue, Suite 1700, New York, N.Y. 10175. Antao & Chuang, Attorneys at Law’s attorneys are licensed attorneys in the states where they practice. However, since said states do not recognize any specialization in U.S. immigration law (attorneys in said states are simply licensed in said states to practice law in general), Antao & Chuang, Attorneys at Law does not claim any such specialization, and nothing on this site should be deemed to constitute any such claim. Antao & Chuang, Attorneys at Law does not claim expertise in the laws of states other than where our attorneys are licensed. This website is an advertisement. This website is provided as a public service and not intended to establish an attorney client relationship. Antao & Chuang, Attorneys at Law does not accept clients on the strength of advertising materials alone but only after following our own engagement procedures. Any reliance on information contained herein is taken at your own risk. The information contained on this site is intended to educate members of the public generally and is not intended to provide solutions to individual problems. Readers are cautioned not to attempt to solve individual problems solely on the basis of information contained herein and are strongly advised to seek competent legal counsel before relying on information on this site. See Terms of Use.